Here is a part list of references to exploration in the
Wigmore / Home Close area. It's obviously not
complete (nor ever likely to be) but I have made a start on the
Wigmore Swallet received some attention in the 1930s.
WCC circular No. 35, June 1938 has the following intriguing
entries but no further details:-
Saturday 25th June - Sunday 26th June. London Members dig at Wigmore Swallet.
[ .. then a list of cave meets .. then .. ]
Saturday 23rd July - Sunday 24th July. London Members dig at Wigmore Swallet."
Hywell Murrell was the leading light of the Wessex London
group in the 1930s. He did also dabble briefly with Bowery
Corner but found it "horrible" and turned his attention
to underground digging in Lamb Leer.
JRat and Co. digging
- Tony Jarratt. Wigmore Swallet Dig: Provisional Report - The Story so Far.
- Belfry Bulletin No 356, December 1977
- Tony Jarratt. Wigmore Swallet: Success to Bolde Myners
- Belfry Bulletin No 357, January 1978
- Tony Jarratt. Christmas at Wigmore.
- Belfry Bulletin No 359, March 1978
- Stuart Lindsey. Continuing the saga of Wigmore Swallet - The End of Part One.
- Belfry Bulletin No 368, December 1978
- Tony Jarratt. Wigmore Swallet - Recent digging and breakthroughs.
- Belfry Bulletin No 371, March 1979
- Trevor Hughes. Wigmore Revisited - Some further thoughts.
- Belfry Bulletin No 391/392, November/December 1980
- Chris Batstone. Still More About Wigmore.
- Belfry Bulletin No 393/394, January/February 1981
- Chris Smart. Wigmore Revisited (Again!)
- Belfry Bulletin No 406/407, February/March 1982
- Tony Jarratt. The Excavation and Exploration of Wigmore Swallet.
- Belfry Bulletin No 460, August 1991
- Tony Jarratt. Wigmore Swallet - Digging News.
- Belfry Bulletin No 461, October 1991
- Trevor Hughes. Wigmore Swallet, notes on the survey and some thoughts on further work.
- Belfry Bulletin No 462, December 1991
- Trebor McDonald. Caving News - Wigmore Swallet.
- Belfry Bulletin No 466, December 1992
- Trebor McDonald and Ross White. Wigmore update - only another 5.75 miles to Cheddar!
- Belfry Bulletin No 467, April 1993
- Trebor McDonald. Wigmore's Death Throes.
- Belfry Bulletin No 469, September 1993
- Vince Simmonds. Wigmore Swallet - Upstream Sump 3 Extension.
- Belfry Bulletin No 498, August 1998
Extracts from the Somerset Sump Index - Wigmore Diving Logs
More recent diving articles
More recent digging articles
- Richard Witcombe. MENDIP NEWS, Wigmore, White Pit and a big dig.
- Descent No 204, Oct/Nov 2008 p14
- Tony Audsley. "Progress" at Home Close Hole September 2008 - January 2009 or 'per ardua ad nauseam' etc etc.
- Belfry Bulletin No 534, Spring 2010 p7-11
- Tony Audsley. MENDIP NEWS, Problems at the Home Close Dig.
- Descent No 216, Oct/Nov 2010 p10
- Tony Audsley.Home Close Hole, Wigmore Farm - J-Rat's last Mendip dig.
- Grampian Speleological Group Bulletin Vol4 No5, March 2011 p22-24
- Tony Audsley. 'Progress' at Home Close Hole. Part Two, January 2010 - April 2011.
- Belfry Bulletin No 541, 58(4), September 2011 p18-22
- Tony Audsley. MENDIP NEWS, Securing the shaft.
- Descent No. 225, Apr/May 2012 p17
- Tony Audsley. MENDIP NEWS, Downwards at Home Close.
- Descent No. 227, Aug/Sep 2012 p15
- Tony Audsley. Progress! at Home Close Hole. Part Three, April - December, 2011
- Belfry Bulletin No545, 58(8), January 2013 p4-8
Created: 08 December 2009